Download Nightcap #32
Download Nightcap #31
J&B make a commentary track for ROX #31 “A Toast to Poverty.” This is our 30th nightcap, but we’re talking about the 31st episode of our TV show ROX, produced over 16 years ago. Do not become confused.
We recorded this commentary track in hopes of using it in our forthcoming DVD set. Alas, that project seems to have run afoul of technological catastrophe, about which more shall be forthcoming.
Download Nightcap #30
Download Nightcap #29
Possibly our longest conversation to date.
Download Nightcap #23
- Play Time (1967 film by Jacques Tati) on Wikipedia
- Road Trip: America’s Most Paved Places from LiveScience: “With more than 4 million miles of roads in the United States, the farthest you can venture from a road is 22 miles (unless you’re wandering around Alaska or the swamps of Louisiana). The only place you can be 22 miles away from road in the contiguous states is a spot in the southeast corner of Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming.”
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
- Pigeon Forge and hyperreality from Ruin Value
- World’s Largest “As Seen on TV” Superstore
Warning: This time we really did talk for over an hour.
Download Nightcap #18
This call was untimely truncated because of a crying baby!
Download Nightcap #17
Greenways, cow butchery and other sundry topics of interest.
Download Nightcap #16
Links for this episode:
- City moving closer to work on creating Lafitte greenway by Emilie Bahr for New Orleans City Business
- Study: Red Meat Raises Death Risk
It finally happened. We went over the one-hour mark. But we had a lot to talk about.
Download Nightcap #15
(Actually upon further review it’s apparent that we didn’t quite go over an hour. There must have been a glitch in the recording process that resulted in about six minutes of silence at the end of this conversation. Sorry about that. Please use this quiet time to meditate upon the eternal void. Or something.)
An alarmingly sober discussion on the joys of fatherhood, Verdi’s Requiem and collaborative memoir.
- Hot tea photo by Marco Arment, licensed under Creative Commons
- Editor B’s Mardi Gras Pix
- J&B Get Baked on rox.com
- Don’t Take Viagra Before Verdi from Nickell’s Bag
Download Nightcap #13
B is excited about Mardi Gras and his daughter’s first birthday and half a dozen other things. J is just happy to be recovering from a cold.
- Warmth photo by Chad K, licensed under Creative Commons
- Calvados: The French Apple Brandy from DrinkFocus.com
- Persephone & Persephone photograph
- The Pomegranate of Ancient Myth from Paghat’s Garden
Download Nightcap #12
A thirty-six minute chat of decidedly low fidelity.
- Rhubarb Schnapps photo by Erin Sikorsky Stewart, licensed under Creative Commons. (It’s not peppermint, but it is pink.)
- Good Morning from b.rox
- Happy Customer Saves Mont. Video Store on NPR
- Center for the Advancement of the Steady State Economy
- Dangerously Cheesy from b.rox
Download Nightcap #11
We had our most profound, insightful, and moving conversation yet. It was a real meeting of the minds, a revealing and poignant heart-to-heart talk between friends.
Alas, a technical error resulted in the entire conversation disappearing into the ether. So you will just have to imagine this one. We’ll be back with more sparkling dialog soon.
A technical glitch leads to the untimely truncation of this installment, robbing the world of an extra twenty-odd minutes of witty repartee and keen insights into the human condition. We were waxing poetic and speculating in the face of science. Alas, alas, gone forever. You’ll simply have to use your imagination and make do with the first half.
- Tequila y Kahlua, Monterrey’s, Atlanta photo by Laura Fries, licensed under Creative Commons
- Brave Bull recipe from the Webtender
- Iceland ponders future as government falls via Reuters
- J’s family portrait by Michael deMeng
- Early Television Exposure and Subsequent Attentional Problems in Children [PDF] from The American Academy of Pediatrics
- Le Ballon rouge on IMDb
Download Nightcap #08
A semi-coherent Editor B flies solo at year’s end.
Note: This recording terminates rather abruptly, as I pressed the button a moment too soon.
- yes, that’s a rum filled coconut. by Brandon King, licensed under Creative Commons
- Coconut water on Wikipedia
- Rum and coconut water recipe and commentary by David Wondrich for Esquire
- SaveTheBonfire blog
- Some bonfire pix by Editor B
Download Nightcap #04
Oops. We kinda let this one get away from us — it clocks in at a rather ungainly 41 minutes. Over a Manhattan we whine about well-meaning prenatal advice and discuss some cold weather problems. We herewith pledge to keep ’em shorter from now on.
Links for this episode:
- Photo by Eric Murray, licensed under Creative Commons
- Manhattan recipe from the Webtender
- Raynaud’s phenomenon entry from Wikipedia
- 1950s pin-up queen Bettie Page dies by Dean Goodman
Download Nightcap #02
The podcasting mania continues. This is rough, raw, intimate, easy, and definitely low-fidelity — kind of like us. No, it’s not ROX, it’s J&B’s Nightcap.
Nightcap #1: Old-Fashioned
On the 75th anniversary of Prohibition’s repeal, your hosts J&B launch a new enterprise: this podcast, J&B’s Nightcap. We begin with that classic cocktail, the Old Fashioned. Our conversation diverges also to the joys of fatherhood, infant projectile vomiting and marijuana.
Links for this episode:
- Photo by hellabella, licensed under Creative Commons
- Old-Fashioned recipe from the Webtender
- There She Blows! Projectile Vomiting in Infants by Shannon McKelden
- Projectile vomiting by FreshMD
- Ex-Missoula neurologist pens paper on old stash by Michael Jamison
I suppose I should really set up a blog specially for this. And now I have.
Download Nightcap #01